The Chappaqua Orchestra 2018 Concerto Competition
Auditions April 6 – April 7, 2018
Music Conservatory of Westchester 216 Central Park Avenue, White Plains, NY
In our 3rd Annual Concerto Competition, students compete in two divisions – Junior (12-17, or 18 and high school senior), limited to NY, CT, NJ, MA & PA, and Senior (18-25), no geographical restrictions - audition for six winning spots and a monetary prize.
Please fill out and submit your application online at:
You may also print and mail your application. Download application pdf
Rules and Instructions:
Preliminary Round: All submissions for preliminary round must be made via YouTube by February 1st, 2018
Please make a separate video for each piece – Sonata and Concerto – and submit both. Please state your name, where you are from and what you are playing. The videos do NOT need to be a professional studio recording.
Please submit your preliminary round recordings via YouTube by following the steps below:
• Sign into YouTube.
• Click the Upload button at the top of the page.
• Before you begin uploading the video you can choose the video privacy settings.*
• Select the video you would like to upload from your computer.
• Copy the link(s) to your online application and/or email to email@example.com
You will be notified of your acceptance to the Semi-final round by February 26th, 2018.
*If you wish to set your video as private, you must allow The Chappaqua Orchestra to view the video. To do this, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your friends list. Then go to your edit menu under Broadcasting and Sharing Options >Privacy and check email@example.com from the list. Detailed instructions can be found in the YouTube help section here.
Semi-finals: Friday, April 6th , 2018 - Participants will be notified the afternoon of April 6th if they will be in the Final Round
Final Round: Saturday, April 7th , 2018 – Final Round is open to the public.
Winner’s Concert: May 19, 2018, Chappaqua Performing Arts Center, Chappaqua, NY
$125 per applicant. Send application and checks payable to:
The Chappaqua Orchestra, P.O. Box 461, Chappaqua, NY 10514
Or pay online at: http://tcoconcertocompetitionfee2018.brownpapertickets.com
Proof of payment must be sent with application.
The deadline for submitting all materials, YouTube link and payment is February 1st, 2018
Junior Division: 12-17 or 18 and current high school senior, Senior Division: 18-25
- Participants must provide proof of age with a copy of their Birth Certificate.
- Junior Division is limited to NY, CT, NJ, MA & PA; No geographical limitations for Senior Division.
Audition Location: Music Conservatory of Westchester:
216 Central Avenue, White Plains, NY 10606, 914.761.3900, www.musicconservatory.org
Preliminary Round YouTube Submission requirements:
- One movement of a Sonata must be performed for both Divisions; Junior Division: One movement of Concerto must be performed; Senior Division: Complete Concerto must be performed. The Sonata and Concerto must be contrasting and chosen from the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, or 20th Century/Contemporary repertoire.
Semi-final/Final Round requirements:
- Junior Division: One movement of the same Concerto must be performed; Senior Division: The same complete Concerto must be performed. Sonatas will NOT be heard.
- Junior division participants must be accompanied to the audition by a parent or guardian
- A pianist must accompany participants. Accompanists will NOT be provided by TCO
- Participants do NOT need to provide the jury with sheet music
- All Concerti must be memorized
Prizes: All winners will be announced on the Chappaqua Orchestra’s website by April 9, 2018
1st Prize: $2000; Perform entire Concerto with TCO in our May Concert
2nd Prize: $1000*
3rd Prize: $500*
1st Prize: $1000; Perform 1 movement of Concerto with TCO in our May Concert
2nd Prize: $500*
3rd Prize: $300*
1st Prize winners of both divisions may have their performance played on a nationwide NYC radio station broadcast
* Each 2nd and 3rd place winners from each division will have the opportunity to play in a section of TCO for our May Concert. All winners are encouraged to attend the May Concert to receive their prizes.
* Some participants will receive an Honorable Mention and will have the opportunity to sit in a section of TCO for our May Concert.
The Chappaqua Orchestra’s and the participating Judges’ decisions are final.
For any additional questions please contact the Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Winners' Concert Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 8 pm
Chappaqua Performing Arts Center
480 N Bedford Rd, Chappaqua, NY
The top prizewinners from each division will perform solo concerti with the orchestra conducted by Michael Shapiro.
Tickets - $30, Seniors/Students $20
2017 Concerto Competition Winners
1st Place: Julian Langford – Cello
Stonybrook University/The Juilliard School
$2000 - The George and Sheila Drapeau First Prize
TCO Performs Dmitri Shostakovich's - Cello Concerto No. 1 in E-flat major, Opus 107 Movement 1 - with 2017 Concerto Competition Winner- Senior Division - Julian Langford
Listen on YouTube
1st Place: Dylan Wu - Cello
The Juilliard Pre-College
$1000 - The Frank and Suzanne Shiner First Prize
TCO Performs Tchaikovsky's - Pezzo Capriccioso, Op. 62 - with 2017 Concerto Competition Winner- Junior Division - Dylan Wu
Listen on YouTube
2nd Place: Georgia Lazaridou – Piano
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania
3rd Place: Radoslawa Jasik – Piano
The New School – Mannes
$500 - The David and Natalia Restivo Third Prize
2nd Place: Sara Scanlon – Cello
The Juilliard Pre-College
$500 - The Carmen and Rafael Forte Second Prize
3rd Place: William Tang – Piano
Hunter College High School/Manhattan School of Music Pre-College
$300 - The Georgia and Ron Frasch Third Prize
Congratulations 2016 Winners
Hear Sakurako Saimaru
Visit the YouTube link below to watch The Chappaqua Orchestra's 2016 Concerto Competition 1st place winner – Sakurako Saimaru – perform the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto No.1 E minor, Op. 64 and her encore of the Bach Sonata.
Be a Winner, Sponsor a Winner!
Your sponsorship may be the first step to a promInent career for one of our bright young talents. Opportunities for naming sponsorships start at $500. Please conctact David Restivo at email@example.com